|April 17, 2012 Special Meeting|
Charter Township of Ironwood SPECIAL MEETING April 17, 2012
Call to Order: At 5:30 p.m. the Supervisor called the special meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance and roll call was taken.
Roll Call: Mattson, Olson-DeRosso, Salmi, Maki, Boyd, Brunello, Fredrickson.
Also Present: Chief Jamie Peite, Bob Brentar, Darren Pionk of Gogebic County Road Commission. Public Comment: None.
Amendments to Agenda: 1) Road Conditions, Bike Lane 2) Airport Soccer Park update. 3) Trailer Court issues sewer fee reduction, tap-in fee,classification. 4) Light on Sunset Road. 5)Sewer Project Phase II. 6)Sewer Lateral installation bill. 7)Garbage Contract Expires May 31, 2012. A motion was made by Brunello supported by Fredrickson to add items 1 through 6 to agenda. The motion carried on a unanimous roll call vote.
PURPOSE: 1) Darren Pionk- Gogebic County Road Commission Manager discussed the Paser Road Management System which rate road conditions based upon road condition, and usage. He also discussed results of the most recent survey completed by the Road Commission. Pionk reviewed the 3 projects planned for 2012 in the Township: Lake Road around Aho's Corner, Powderhorn Road, and Black River Road. In addressing the condition of Hannu Road, he offered three options: 1) Pulverize and double chip seal the road which would cost around $45,000; 2) Blacktop ½ mile from Lake to the east pulverize and double chip seal the rest of the road at a cost of around $85,000; 3) Grind up the road and return it to gravel. Pionk noted one of the problems on Hannu Road is Ruotsala Concrete/Construction equipment is tearing the road up. Chip seal will not hold up to the heave equipment, therefore a recommendation that the vehicles be limited, or black top be applied to the road. It was also noted that the company Concrete/Construction does not have a Conditional Use Permit or Home Occupation Permit for that property. The Board members instructed the Supervisor to contact the Zoning Administrator to deal with the construction company permit issue before the Township spends funds on the road only to have it torn up. In the mean-time Pionk will work up estimates for the Township Board to review.
Charter Township of Ironwood Special Meeting April 17, 2012 Page 2
Mattson noted that Chad Novascone brought in photos of Upland Drive Road showing this spring his tires were in 10 or more inches of mud. Therefore this road must be dealt with. She also noted that Bale Lane has no gravel on it and tree roots are showing in the roadway and needs to be addressed. Pionk agreed to investigate and put these two issues into the estimate.
Pionk asked that the Trailer Court Owner would open the ditch that they filled in.
3) Road Issues: Bike Path, the condition of Lake Road. Pionk also addressed the wave in the pavement on Lake Road near Forslunds, Noted that Jean is meeting with the attorney on it. The City of Ironwood will patch the poor patch job on Lake Road near Slade Road this summer. And the utility company is set to patch Lake Road North of the Township Hall where they did work last summer. Mattson requested the Road Commission Crews sweep the bike Lane on Lake Road. Pionk agreed to work it in, providing we don't get heavy rain which will wash it off.
2) Engine 94 -Pumper problem. Chief Peite was on hand to discuss the issue with Pumper 94. He felt that the pump was working at 70% capacity for at least 5 years, and it is not the first pumper in line, his recommendation was to let the expensive repairs go, allow the re packing of the pump and use the truck as is. A motion was made by Maki supported by Olson not to authorize the additional work to Pumper 94 as recommended by Chief Peite. The motion carried on a unanimous roll call vote.
4) Airport Soccer Park update. Bids for the construction of the Airport Recreation Park will be advertised the week of May 4th, the week of May 9th a mandatory pre-bid conference, the week of May 24th open bids, and the week of May 28th award meeting. Work on the park is scheduled to start early in June, 2012 with substantial completion by August 5 and final completion by October 1st, 2012.
5) Trailer Court issues sewer fee reduction, tap-in fee, classification.
Sewer fee reduction A motion was made by Brunello supported by Salmi to offer a sewer credit of 4000 gallons. The motion carried on a unanimous roll call vote.
Tap-in fee The tap-in fee was covered by the Township on the purchase of the Trailer Court. The Tap -in fee was credited toward Mr. Papin upon the sale of the trailer court. A fee for the cost of supplies for the hook up will be submitted to Mr. Papin for payment.
Classification A motion was made by Brunello supported by Boyd to retain the current classification of Commercial on the trailer court. The motion carried on a unanimous roll call vote.
Charter Township of Ironwood Special Meeting April 17, 2012 Page 3
6) Light on Sunset. Tom Gayan requested a street light on Sunset Road. The Board instructed Mattson to contact Xcel energy to add the Street Light, and add the cost to the Special Assessment Roll.
7) Sewer Lateral Bill. After a discussion a motion was made by Fredrickson, supported by Brunello to pay the bill for installing the sewer lateral. The motion carried on a unanimous roll call vote.
8) Sewer Project Phase II- Mattson asked that the Township Board review the information regarding Phase II, noting that there will be an increase in sewer rates, however the township would be improving the current system, and refinancing the other sewer projects to get a better interest rate.
9) Garbage Contract Expires May 31, 2012. The board asked the Supervisor to negotiate a one year contract with Waste Management, since GRSWMA is not prepared to begin curbside services yet. If Waste Management does not want to work with the Township, another carrier will be sought.
Public Comment (Agenda Items) None.
Adjournment: At 7:10 p.m. a motion was made by Olson-DeRosso supported by Boyd to adjourn the special meeting. The motion carried.
Kim Mattson, Supervisor Gayla Salmi, Clerk